Three veterans standing in a circle outside the college entrance.

North Hennepin Community College is committed to being a military-friendly campus. Our helpful staff is willing to assist you with all of your academic needs.

We certify all of our listed degrees and majors for the GI Bill and offer assistance with:

  • Montgomery GI Bill
  • Post 9/11 (Ch. 33)
  • Active Duty (Ch. 30)
  • Selected Reserve (Ch. 1606)
  • Vocational Rehabilitation (Ch. 31)
  • Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (Ch. 35)
  • Minnesota GI Bill
  • Federal Tuition Assistance

Apply for Free!

All veterans or active duty military members can apply to NHCC for free. Just make sure to show our admissions office your active ID or DD214 when applying. For help, please refer to our veterans successful start guide to ensure you complete each step of the admissions process and find success at NHCC.

Note: No reimbursements can be issued if you pay the application fee before providing documentation of military service.

  • GI Bill Tuition Deferment

    Students awaiting GI benefits under Chapters 30, 33, 1606, 1607, 31 or 35 will have their tuition automatically deferred, while they are waiting for GI Bill payments. Tuition will be deferred when a benefit request form is submitted to the VA by the certifying official. Deferring tuition will hold your courses without having to set up a payment plan.

    • You are responsible to drop your course(s) if you do not plan on attending.
    • Tuition for the semester must be paid in full by the payment plan due date. See payment options for due date.
  • Credit for Military Training

    Your military training may be considered for college credit.  It is a good idea to submit your military transcript(s) for evaluation as soon as possible. Request and submit military transcripts from:

    After NHCC receives your official transcripts, the transfer specialist will review your military training based upon the American Council of Education standards for Military Programs. The College will provide you a copy of your Degree Audit Report (DARS) indicating what was accepted in transfer.

Veterans Resource Center

Located in the Campus Center, the Veterans Resource Center (VRC) provides a space for our veterans to study and relax. The space includes computers, meeting space, and veteran affairs benefit information.

Benefits and Resources